Popular Posts

Friday 9 March 2012

French Cinema and the next French President - the clues


I love France. I've never been to France. But I love it. One of the first people I ever dated was called Paris. She wasn't the famous one. Nor even a near relative. She looked nothing like her as a matter of fact and I don't think she even spoke the language. And we didn't actually date. It was more like a stalking scenario. But innocent stalking - at least on her part. She wore a scarf. And she had a beautiful voice. I remember one time I was following her down a street and she turned and shouted at me. Rude things. Really hateful things. But she shouted them beautifully - you know - at least until the cops turned up.

Anyway I was thinking about the other Paris recently - not the blonde one - that's another story - a whole other night in the cells - no the one with the big building in the middle. France Paris. Paris France. They're having an election - you know this stuff - which is great because it's fantastic to see democracy spread from the USA to at least one country. Three candidates. A small one with hair who's already in the job. A slightly less short Commie one with no hair who's not. And a good looking woman who would probably be a shoe in for a job presenting at Fox if only she could speak American - you know - WITHOUT the accent. Obviously these guys are French so the woman's out which leaves two little people slugging it out in 'Le ring'.

Now obviously if this was back home or even in Canada the guy with hair would get the job, but the French don't seemed too bothered with slap tops in their White House and with the Commie guy well ahead in the polls it seems that the shorter one is out - or is he?

My passion has always been for cinema. Particularly French cinema. Have you ever seen the Hunchback of Notre Dame? I loved that film as a kid. I drove my Mom and Dad whacko watching it and along with Superman 2, View to a Kill and French Kiss it ranks among my all time favorite movie experiences from that country. I think the clue to the result lies in a close analysis of these cultural exports.

So - what lessons can we learn? Well In Superman 2 the man of steel loses his powers but gets them back just in time to save the world. In A View to a Kill Roger Moore, clearly wearing a wig, plays a tired old ham who never looks very convinced by what he's doing and loses the role that he was struggling to play to a younger man (Timothy Dalton). And in the Hunchback of Notre Dame an ugly twisted monster with a strange addiction to campomology (bell ringing) gets the girl and wins the day. At least I think he does - I never made it to the end. Actually I never saw French Kiss either. I just FF'd through for the dirty bits. There were none.

Basically Sarkozy is the The Bell Ringing Superman 2 - as played by Timothy Dalton - and I have a HUNCH he's gonna win.

No comments:

Post a Comment